Monday, September 10, 2012

In Honor of 9/11, Our Soldiers & Emergency Workers

Hello my crafty friends, it is Monday and that means it is time for a new BBTB2 challenge.  I am hosting the challenge this week and I chose to honor those of 9/11.  You could do any project using any Cricut cart as long as it has to do with honoring our Soldiers, Emergency workers and 9/11.  Since my oldest son is a full time soldier in the Army this challenge was near and dear to my heart.  My son had done 5 tours of duty in Iraq and getting ready to leave for his 6th tour only this one will be in Afghan.  He went to war at only 19 years of age when the war started.  Of course he called to tell us he would be leaving to go somewhere and we wouldn't be able to talk to him for a while and that he couldn't tell us where he was going.  We knew of course and after that conversation with my son, we kept the tv on waiting for the news that the war started.  The evening came, hubby was in the shower and I came running in yelling the war has started.  We kept the bedroom tv on all night half sleeping and listening to the news of what was going on as we knew our son was there. It was so surreal, so you can see why this is so near and dear to my heart.  We have since had another son sign up in the Army Reserves and he did one tour of duty in Afghan. I am very proud of my sons but really don't want my youngest to sign up for the military.  Yes, I know we need soldiers and I know it is his life but as a mom I just don't want anymore soldiers in the family. lol  I am being selfish, but I've seen what war can do to a person and folks it is not pretty.  So enough of my chatter about my military guys, on with my card.

I saw this card on Pinterest here and I fell in love with it, so I felt I needed to make this card.  I put my own spin on it by adding the buttons, some inking with Tim Holtz Walnut distressing ink and the 3D start and twine bow.  I like the clean lines and the simplicity of this card.  I hope that you like it too.  I used George and Basic Shapes Cricut cart for this card.  For the star I just used a punch and my little buttons come from JoAnn's.  My sentiment is from My Creative Time, I stamped it in black first and then in white to give the look of a shadow.  Thanks for checking out the BBTB2 design team, they have more fabulous projects for you to see.  Please leave them some bloggy love if you would.  I hope that you will also take part in this challenge and please remember you must use your Cricut on your project, make sure to link back to BBTB2 on your blog and you have one week to link up with BBTB2.  Happy crafting my friends!!






15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I love this card. It has your heart in it. Now I know why.I pray for your son's safe return.

Carole Beath said...

Brenda, thanks for such a wonderful challenge. Your card is a fabulous tribute for this day in history.
Carole

Migdalia said...

What a Wonderful card!!My prayers are with you,and your son...
Migdalia

Tammy said...

Such a meaningful card Brenda. I love it.

DonnaMundinger said...

FAbulous challenge and beautiful card, Brenda! Thank you and your family for the sacrifices you've made for our wonderful country. xxD

Surprisingly Crafty said...

Your card is beautiful! :o)

Annette said...

Great card Miss Brenda. I hear you about your son, Our son-in law is in the Marines. Luckily he is Doing the Drill instructor thing, which is non deployable for 3 years.
take care.

Unknown said...

Brenda ... it is a beautiful card and very touching story. I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through as a mom. Sending prayers for you all.

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Such a pretty card! Thank you for having a son who is so brave to protect our country.

Sharon said...

Such a beautiful card!! Thank you sons for me for their service to our wonderful and free country!! :)

The Queen (Laura) said...

So beautiful Brenda! As a Veteran, I LOVE IT! Big thanks to your sons who are keeping us safe. They are in my prayers. Wonderful my job my friend.

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Brenda you can talk about your military guys anytime. I love your card and love the way the sentiment looks. Way cool! I definitely need to try this. Thank for a great challenge idea. :)

Penny'sfromHeavenreborn Nursery said...

Brenda

I am loving this card, its so perfectly done, the heart the stripes and the dotted cardstock is awesome..

Hugs
Penny

DIANA L. said...

Such an elegant card Brenda. Thanks for the inspiration at BBTB2.
Tell your son Thank You from me
DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

MaryH said...

Awesome card. TFS